Encroachment Permits

Share & Bookmark, Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Encroachment Permit Requirements

Encroachment Permits are required any time a person wishes to encroach upon a city right-of-way (sidewalk or street). For example, an encroachment permit would be required for events including, but not limited to:

  • Sidewalk, curb and gutter installation or repair;
  • Closing parking spaces for specific uses;
  • Driveway installation;
  • Trenching in a city street;
  • Sidewalk sales;
  • Power-washing and/or painting a building where you need to put up ladders or scaffolding on the sidewalk;
  • Window washing where you need to put up scaffolding on the sidewalk;
  • Special events such as parades, car shows, farmers' market, etc. which require closing of a city street.

Sidewalk Responsibility

Pursuant to Fort Bragg Municipal Code section 12.04.070, owners of lots fronting on any portion of a public street are responsible for maintaining the sidewalk so that the sidewalk will not endanger persons or property. If your sidewalk is in need of repair, please contact the city to obtain an encroachment permit and building permit prior to doing any repairs.

Encroachment Permit Process

The following procedures must be followed in order to obtain a city encroachment permit:

  1. Download a city Encroachment Permit Application obtain one by calling 707-961-2823 to have 1 faxed or mailed.

  2. For street closures, you must also complete the Encroachment Permit Application Supplemental. This requires that you obtain signatures from all adjacent property owners showing that they are aware of the event.

  3. Complete the form and return it to the Engineering Department along with proof of liability insurance listing the city as an additional insured by policy endorsement (the city needs a copy of the endorsement). Please allow 1-2 weeks for processing the permit. Please review the Sample Insurance Requirements for declarations page and endorsements.

  4. Pay the appropriate fee (a copy of the fee schedule is available by clicking on the link to the right (look under Public Works fees) but city staff is happy to assist you in calculating these fees when you return your application).

  5. For special events you will be required to submit a Limited Term Permit Application to the Community Development Department and potentially attend a Technical Advisory Committee meeting to discuss the event with the appropriate staff members. In this case, submit an Event Timeline along with your Encroachment Permit Application.

  6. For construction projects, the Engineering Department will review the application and affix appropriate special conditions. You will be required to call for an inspection once you have blocked off the site and prior to actually beginning construction and/or painting.

Annual Encroachment Permits

In October, 2009, the Fort Bragg City Council approved an annual encroachment permit process for the following types of work in the city right of way:

  • Installation / Maintenance of Signs
  • Installation of Window Glass
  • Window Washing
  • Minor Painting Jobs (1 day or less in duration and do not require the erection of scaffolding).

Annual Encroachment Permit

Other Permits

In addition to the city's Encroachment Permit process there are also processes for obtaining permits for placement of flowerpots or street furniture on city sidewalks. The applications forms are below; general provisions can be found on page 2 of the forms.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer